Saturday, January 11, 2014

Gentle On My Mind....



"Each day provides its own gifts"
                       -Martial

I recently learned that the name January derives it's name from "Janus"-the Roman god of gates and doors!

Now as a Christian, I don't put a lot of stock in the "gods", but I am intrigued that the month that serves as our threshold to a new year is named as a keeper of gates and doors....

To me this symbolizes the clean slate of a new year. A chance to explore new things and possible enter new gates and open new doors. It is an exciting time and a scary time, we have no guarantees what our new year will bring.

I always inventory the past year and make a list of things I could improve on. These are not necessarily new year's resolutions as much as re-evaluations of my life. 

So far, this being the eleventh day of our new year, I have managed to wake up at 5 o'clock each morning for my quiet time with the Lord and to get a start on the day's chores. I can fold a load of clothes, put a new load in washer, put washed clothes in dryer, put something amazing in the slow cooker, pack my lunch and have my "me" time, all before I face my lovely seventh graders at 8 o'clock.

Once I enter the world of middle school, my time goes by very quickly...so many students with so many needs and so little time....

One thing I know....taking a little time out of my day....at the beginning to spend with my Father, then with myself....sure has made my week a lot more gentle on my mind....

My Word for this year is TIME!

Here is my challenge to you for the week.....

If you could take one family photo to keep and show to someone 100 years from now......which photo would it be?

Next week I will show you mine. Please share yours on instagram #latresaslifelessonsweek#1challenge!

What will your family be doing in the photo?

No comments:

Post a Comment