Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I Can't Help Falling in Love....




December 31

Wow! The last day of the year, and here I am at Graceland with my children and my adorable grandson. Such blessings the Lord has showered me with this year!  2013 has  had it’s challenges, the blessings, the heartaches and the day to day. God is always so faithful and always so good to me.

On this last day of the year, and the last day of our family vacation, we will tour the mansion. We have saved this treat for our last day. Everyday we have walked up to the mediation garden and each night we have admired the beautiful lights on display, but today we will walk through the doors of the place Elvis called home. You may say we have saved the best for last….

My love for Elvis began as early as I have memory. Each Sunday after church when we would go to my Grandmother and Papaw’s house, we would hear Elvis singing gospel. My Papaw’s favorite song was “Peace in the Valley”. I was the oldest grandchild one of my fondest memories is sitting in his lap as he sang “Peace in the Valley” and rocked me. He sang to all his grandchildren, and when I became a parent, I got to enjoy hearing my Papaw sing his favorite song to my own children as he rocked them. These memories have only strengthened my love for Elvis and his music.

My husband Eddie and I used to listen to Elvis when we dated. He is as big an Elvis fan as I am. He swears that if he and Elvis had met they would be best friends and I have to agree with him. There are lots of similairies….



When you begin your tour at Graceland, you board a bus and you are given headphones. As the bus heads up the driveway, Elvis begins singing in your ear, “Welcome to my World”.

When you enter the front door…I’ve heard it said….and I have felt it every time…You can feel his presence.





Cam was listening intently as our tour guide explained how Elvis purchased Graceland in 1957 for just over $100,000. I think Cam may be in training as a contender in a future Elvis Quiz Show!



At this point in time I have been to the mansion numerous times, but every time I walk through that day….Wow!

The livingroom ….



The diningroom….


The kitchen….



The television room….



The poolroom…


The jungleroom…


Some of my favorite songs, Moody Blue, Way Down...were recorded in this room!



When you go out the back door at the jungle room, you are in the backyard and where Elvis parked his cars. Vernon had a small building behind the house which he used as his office. It is small and he and two secretaries handled all Elvis’ business affairs from this office. Look at the sign in Vernon’s own handwriting…





If you read Priscella’s book , “Elvis and Me”, remember where she mentions the sign Vernon placed on the door to keep her from hanging out with Elvis’ cousin Patsy who worked for Vernon. Vernon was all about work and taking care of Elvis.

Next, the trophy room. No man has ever achieved as much in the music industry as this man….


The Trophy Room is lined with Gold and Platinum Albums and Singles! Wall to Wall, Floor to Ceiling!





He was as generous as he was talented!


There are walls covered with checks he sent to charities around the Memphis area. He was a great philanthropist! 

Out the back door and...

Back to the meditation garden…..”Peace in the Valley”.





The last stop on the tour was a stop by the Lisa Marie Presley exhibit ….”Elvis Through His Daughter’s Eyes”. Our favorite…

Here you can see Lisa Marie's Crib and many of her baby toys and clothing.

There is a bible that was a gift to Lisa from a cousin. It once belonged to Lisa's Grandmother Gladys.

There is a scarf that Elvis wrote a personal note on to "Yesa" as he called her.

I love this plaque that Elvis gave Lisa for her birthday one year....


Today is our last full day at Graceland. This trip can not be put into words. I am a mother who has been blessed to travel back in time for a little while and have all my children with me-to wake up with me, eat meals with me, laugh and be silly with me, seek out new adventures with me, ignore my silliness and just let me be mom-all I've ever wanted to be. I am one blessed Mom. God has ended my 2013 in an amazing miraculous way!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment