Thursday, September 18, 2014

Is Mrs. Phillips a Christian?

The first week of school a student walked into Mr. Shuler's room and blurted out, "Does anybody know if Mrs. Phillips is a Christian?"

Of course Mr. Shuler took her to the side and explained that if you are concerned about someone's salvation, you ask them in private. You don't yell it out across the classroom (LOL)!

Mr. Shuler told me what had happened and gave me a head's up that I would be receiving a call from said student to find out indeed if I was a Christian.

My first thought when he told me what she had asked was, "Didn't she see the Bible on my desk? the scripture messages taped to my computer? to my desk?" Then I thought, "Doesn't she know I teach Sunday School, and help lead the youth group, and help direct the youth choir, and sing in the adult choir?"

Then I had a terrible thought, "Have I done something to make her think I'm not a Christian?" That thought was very scary!

She came to see me and asked me and I told her yes I am a Christian!

The more I have thought about her question, the more I have learned from her. First, the fact that I have a Bible on my desk and scripture taped to my desk and computer do not make me a Christian….The fact that I sing, lead singing, teach, lead youth group, does not make me a Christian….What makes me a Christian is what happened to me when I was twelve years old. I knew that if I died I would spend eternity in hell. I went to the altar and asked Jesus Christ to come into my heart and be my Savior….And He did!

Yes, my sweet Emily :) I am a Christian not because of anything I do, or I have done, but all because of what He did for me…

The last, but not least lesson, do I find myself concerned if others I encounter are Christians? I should be very concerned…


Fun and games with Sweetgum Youth!


Neon 5K Sweetgum Youth!



                                                         Working on Project!

Reading God's Word and being involve in Church activities doesn't make me a Christian…but they do help me enjoy being one!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment